Tuesday 28 February 2012

A little bit of Do-It-Yourself Inspiration: turning weird things from thrift stores into nice things you can wear!

How many times have you gone into a thrift store and giggled at an over-the-top, overly puffy, brightly-coloured or multi-patterned dress from the 80s, that sure, is completely FANTASTIC, but at the same time, just far too hilarious /impractical to ever be worn out in public? Well if you don't feel guilty about cutting these dresses up, they can actually be the perfect project, and you can turn them into something much more on-trend.

Take this puffy-sleeved, bright blue velvet number here, for instance:


I bought this the other day because it was just TOO fantastic to leave sitting there. It needed a good home! Unfortunately, I would not look normal if I were to wear this in public. (The photo doesn't do it justice, the sleeves are just so ridiculously huge and puffy when wearing it. And, it was also far too large.) But, it is the perfect base to make something prettier out of!

I actually ended up chopping it in half, and making it into both a tight-fitting blue velvet skirt, and a cropped peter-pan collar embellished singlet top. I'm just wearing both here at the same time! (And they work together as well, as a dress!)


So next time you're laughing at that ridiculous dress in a charity store, stop and think for a moment: actually, maybe that could become awesome with a little DIY!

Hope you're all super well & happy!

xxx Annika

21 comments:

  1. you have to be kidding me. I am blown away by what you've done! that blue looks awesome with your hair colour, it's amazing!

    http://meggymoo0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. great as separates AND together. wow.

    http://alleycatfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that looks so beautiful! This is so inspirational!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How utterly incredible! I am absolutely in awe of all of your wonderful DIY projects and creations. And this top and skirt combo is beautiful. I've never seen velvet look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the skirt and the top, so pretty! :)All your DIY posts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that dress is AWESOME! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazing! I wish I was as good with a sewing machine as you are! I love your DIYs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a DIY QUEEN! I saw this today and immediately thought of you- I think you'd really like Charlotte Taylors collection. http://www.charlottetaylorltd.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Oh my gosh, yes. Charlotte Taylor's new collection is incredible! Thank you so much for sharing that with me! xxx

      Delete
  9. That skirt/top you made out of a unflattering dress is gorgeous! Looks great, I wish I could find more velvet things at thrift stores in my area! But there aren't many.

    xx maggie
    saltandleather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!!!

    http://www.afrenchinlosangeles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. A) You are amazing.
    B) I found an ace shoe tutorial.


    http://www.delightfully-tacky.com/2012/02/diy-polka-dot-floral-wedge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my goodness, they're FANTASTIC. Thank you so much for sharing!!

      Delete
  12. you are stinkin cute!!!!
    i wish i was this talented....

    i would do this kind of stuff all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG the transformed dress is too perfect for words. I think finding potential in dresses like yours are just as fun as thrifting them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!!! amazing I simply love the outcomeeee! well done! xx
    Alice Barton ♥ The Mow Way

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! I just got a velvet sheath dress from the '80s that I'm trying to make some alterations to. I was wondering if you had any tips for working with velvet. I'm a little scared to press it and things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man, no, not really haha. I've hardly ever worked with velvet, and when I did, it was when I didn't really understand sewing at all! If I ever work with velvet again I'll make sure to include some tips :)

      Delete
  16. Oh look, I'm here again commenting on something that's 2+ years old. Oh, well...

    I've recently started doing this. I've bought some hideous pieces and refashioned them into something wearable... :) I got this skirt from my friend, it was flashy dark blue like yours (not velvet, though) and I made it into a back-cutout dress! (And now I know I don't want to sew buttonholes by hand ever again... :P) But yeah, taking something weird and ugly and transforming it into something pretty is very rewarding!

    http://somescoundrel.blogspot.fi/2014/09/diy-dress-refashion-from-awkward-big.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!! and I love your blog- fantastic ideas and great tutorials. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the what you do with thrift store finds and I am always so intimidated that I wont make it look good but with what you do I know I can do this thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails